Your policy - Insuring your ATV - Insuring - Off-road vehicles - Vehicle |

Off-road vehicles

Insuring your ATV

When you shop around for insurance for your snowmobile or ATV, you have several options. How do you go about choosing the coverage that meets your needs?

Policy ABC’s

In Quebec, the snowmobile or ATV insurance policy is identical to the automobile insurance policy. You can add different coverage options in addition to the compulsory civil liability coverage.

See the snowmobile or ATV insurance policy.

Common deductibles

The deductible is the amount you agree to pay in case of a loss.

  • Collision or upset: $250 to $1,000
  • Comprehensive: (fire, theft, vandalism, broken windshield, etc.): $100 to $250
  • All perils (includes the above coverage): $250 or $500. You can also choose a deductible of $1,000.

Compulsory coverage

You are required to have civil liability insurance coverage of at least $500,000. This is compulsory under the legislation governing off-road vehicles. If you disregard this obligation, you are liable for a fine of between $250 and $500.

It’s advisable to hold $1 million of civil liability coverage. This coverage pays for bodily injury that is not covered by the Société de l’assurance automobile du Québec (SAAQ).

In insurance jargon, this portion is known as Section A.

Civil liability coverage protects you for:

  • Damage caused to your off-road vehicle for a no-fault collision in Quebec.
  • Property damage and bodily injury for an at-fault accident outside Quebec.

Optional coverage

If you were to have an accident, you want your off-road vehicle to be repaired. Then you need to choose coverage for damage to your vehicle. Insurers offer various coverages. Talk to your agent or broker to make an informed decision.

These coverages are in Section B of the insurance policy.

You can choose between different coverages. Check out the complete list in Section B of your ATV insurance policy. Here are a few:

  • “Collision or Upset”: covers damage as a result of a collision or by upset if you are at fault.
  • “Comprehensive – Excluding Collision or Upset”: specifically covers your vehicle if it’s stolen, if the windshield breaks or if damage is caused by fire, vandalism, wind, hail and water. This coverage also pays for damage caused by a collision with persons or animals.
  • “All Perils”: covers all damage mentioned in both previous types of coverage.
  • “Specified Perils”: coverage is of relatively limited scope and pays only for specifically-listed perils, including fire and theft.