Save on your premium - Cost of insurance - Insuring - Off-road vehicles - Vehicle |

Off-road vehicles

Cost of insurance

Three documents you should always carry with you

  1. Registration certificate of your snowmobile or ATV
  2. Insurance certificate
  3. Proof of age or your certificate of competence

If you’re stopped by the police and don’t have the necessary documents on you, you could be fined up to $200.

When you start tallying up what it costs to run your snowmobile or ATV, you find that it’s costing you a lot. You could perhaps save on your insurance. Where to start?

Six things you can do to reduce your premium

Shop around and ask for quotes from at least three insurers.

The premium charged can vary by as much as three times from one insurer to the other.

Buy all your insurance from the same insurer.

Most insurers offer a discount if you group all your insurance with them.

Ask for a higher deductible.

Evaluate the savings realized and your financial ability to pay this deductible should you have a loss.

Have an anti-theft device installed on your off-road vehicle.

(anti-theft chain, engraving, etc.)

Know as much as you can about the vehicle you choose.

A high performance motocross bike could cost more to insure.

Drive carefully.

Claim frequency may influence the premium.

In addition to your driver’s licence, you must have a certificate of competence if you are aged 16 or 17. Are you driving without this certificate? Then you risk a fine of $100 for a violation.

To obtain your mandatory certificate of competence, you must have a driver’s licence and take a driving course. These courses are offered by a Quebec government-accredited agency.