Your needs change - Renewing and cancelling - Insuring - Off-road vehicles - Vehicle |

Off-road vehicles

Renewing and cancelling

Your needs change during the term of your snowmobile or ATV insurance policy. Your son now has his driver’s licence and wants to use your ATV. What should you do?

Looking for information about insurance?

Contact the agents at the Insurance Information Centre if you have any questions about insurance.

This service is free

  • It is available Mondays to Fridays, from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
  • Montreal: 514 288-4321
  • Elsewhere in Quebec: 1 877 288-4321

Modifying your insurance policy

There are many reasons why you might want to modify your snowmobile or ATV insurance policy. Will you be driving in the U.S.? Is your child old enough to drive your ATV? Those are reasons for modifying your policy.

Talk to your agent or broker. He can let you know which coverage best meets your needs.

Cancelling your insurance policy

Did you know you can cancel your insurance policy at any time and for any reason? You can do so by simply informing your insurer in writing. However, your insurer may charge you a penalty. Check to see whether it’s really worth it.

Your insurer also has the right to cancel your policy no matter the reason. However, your insurer must notify you within 60 days of the policy coming into force. After this period, your insurer can only cancel your policy if you haven’t paid your premium or if you represent a higher risk.

You should also know that your insurer has the right to charge you a penalty. This is set out in the cancellation table appended to your policy. The longer the remaining policy term, the higher the penalty.

The risk is higher if:

  • You change the off-road vehicle model
  • You change the main use you make of your off-road vehicle
  • You’ve had several losses
  • etc.