At the time of the loss - Theft and vandalism - Claiming - Self-employed worker - Business |

Self-employed worker

Theft and vandalism

Your insurance policy protects you for items that are stolen or vandalized.

You return home and realize you’ve been robbed. Your front door is wide open and your TV is gone!

First, don’t step into the house so that you don’t come nose to nose with the thieves. Call the police. You’ll need the police report to make your claim to your home insurer.

Can’t stay in your home?

Talk to your insurer to find out what compensation you’re entitled to, where applicable. Ask for a cash advance, if needed. Keep all receipts and invoices for lodging and food expenses incurred following the loss.

Call your insurer as soon as possible. Depending on the type and extent of the damage, he’ll tell you what to do.

Unless they’re a health hazard, don’t throw out damaged items right away. If you need to do emergency repairs, keep the invoices or receipts. If possible, don’t make permanent repairs before speaking to your insurer.

How to prevent theft.

the five steps of a claims settlement process in home insurance

Discover the five steps of a claims settlement process in home insurance

Contact your insurer Get your claim ready Assess the damage Agree on a settlement Indemnity payment

Call you insurer or broker as soon as possible. Explain what happened as concisely as you can.

List the damaged, destroyed or stolen property; include the model, proof of purchase, warranty and price. And take a photo of the damage.

The claims adjuster will assess the circumstances of the loss, analyze the documents you provide and explain the next steps.

If the property can be repaired, it will be. Otherwise, your insurer will replace it or indemnify you as provided for under your policy.

Depending on the extent of the loss, your insurer will indemnify you in one or more instalments or pay your suppliers or contractors directly.

Répondez au quiz!

Êtes-vous bien couvert?