What’s covered? - Insuring your apartment - Insuring - Tenant - Home insurance | Infoinsurance.ca


Insuring your apartment

Just because you’re a tenant, you don’t think you need home insurance. Even if your belongings aren’t worth that much, they’re still worth insuring. And that doesn’t even begin to include the other coverages under your insurance policy.

In addition to insuring your belongings, your home insurance offers you liability coverage.

In fact, the liability coverage under your home insurance policy will protect you should you be held liable for damage caused unintentionally to a third party.

For example, a fire that accidentally starts in your apartment severely damages your neighbours’ apartments. In this case, your insurer will indemnify your neighbours if you’re held responsible.

True, you’re not legally required to have home insurance. However, it’s important that you protect the belongings you’ve worked so hard to acquire.

N.B. Your personal property isn’t covered by your apartment owner’s insurance.

Who’s covered?

Your home insurance policy covers not only your property and your liability, but also that of your spouse and children.

Your policy also covers:

Dependents who are students Dependents under the age of 18
Dependents who are students
Dependents under
the age of 18

Dependents who are students, even if they do not reside in the principal residence.

Dependents under the age of 18 who live with you

Hover the shadows with your mouse to learn more.

Who can sell you insurance?

  • An insurance broker: brokers offer the products of insurance companies with which they have agreements.
  • An insurance agent: agents work for a specific insurance company.

You can contact either by phone. A number of insurance companies also let you request a quote using a form available on their web site.

Do you share your apartment with friends? Have you and your spouse lived together for less than three years? Then you need to let your home insurer know. The policy must be drawn up in the name of all the individuals to ensure everyone is adequately covered.

Does your
policy cover an
Act of God?

Does your policy cover an Act of God?

All are sometimes referred to as Acts of God. Some are automatically included in home insurance policies. Others can be insured by adding a coverage known as an endorsement. Learn More

Répondez au quiz!

Êtes-vous bien couvert?