Compensation - Snow and ice - Claiming - Tenant - Home insurance |


Snow and ice

Your home insurance protects you against damage caused by snow and freezing rain, but not in all cases. It all depends on the coverage you chose when you purchased your home insurance policy.

Coverage provided for damage caused by snow and freezing rain.

However, for covered damage, your insurer will indemnify according to your policy coverage amount. He’ll also factor in the maximum coverage amount (limit) when reimbursing certain categories of items.

Examples of coverage:

  • The table from your patio set collapses under the weight of the snow.
    Covered if you have Comprehensive coverage
  • The snow and ice accumulated on the roof starts to melt and the water seeps onto your ceiling.
    Covered, if you added Water Damage – Above Ground Water Coverage

In the event of a power outage:

  • The last power outage lasted so long that you lost all the food in your freezer.
    Covered, but with a $1,000 limit

Replacing destroyed or damaged items

First, your home insurer will have items cleaned if they can be cleaned and repair damaged items that can be repaired.

If items must be replaced, your insurer will replace them with new items of the same type and quality if you chose this settlement option when you purchased your policy. If not, your insurer will indemnify you based on their actual cash value.

Your insurer’s obligation

Your home insurer is required to return your belongings to the state they were in prior to the loss. A large branch weighed down by a heavy coat of snow and ice falls on the table of your patio set. Your insurer will only replace the damaged table, not the complete set.

Your insurer also has to pay you for the damage within 60 days of receiving your claim or any information or supporting documents it may request.

Choosing a supplier

You can use a supplier of your choice to repair or replace an item. However, discuss it first with your insurer so that you can agree on the indemnity amounts.


And remember: you’ll have to deduct the amount of your policy deductible from the indemnity amount you receive from your insurer for each claim you make.

coverage to

Did you lose the contents of your freezer after a power outage?

$1,000: this is the maximum
compensation you can receive.

Property for which coverage is limited under most insurance policies, regardless of the type of loss covered.

Animals $1,000 to $2,000
Boats $1,000 to $2,000
Gold or silver bars, bank notes and cash $200
Software $1,000 to $2,000
Lawn tractors, equipment trailers $5,000
Securities $1,000 to $2,000
Personal property used for professional activities $2,000
the five steps of a claims settlement process in home insurance

Discover the five steps of a claims settlement process in home insurance

Contact your insurer Get your claim ready Assess the damage Agree on a settlement Indemnity payment

Call you insurer or broker as soon as possible. Explain what happened as concisely as you can.

List the damaged, destroyed or stolen property; include the model, proof of purchase, warranty and price. And take a photo of the damage.

The claims adjuster will assess the circumstances of the loss, analyze the documents you provide and explain the next steps.

If the property can be repaired, it will be. Otherwise, your insurer will replace it or indemnify you as provided for under your policy.

Depending on the extent of the loss, your insurer will indemnify you in one or more instalments or pay your suppliers or contractors directly.

Répondez au quiz!

Êtes-vous bien couvert?