Compensation - Water damage - Claiming - Owner - Home insurance |


Water damage

Your insurance protects you against water damage, but not in all cases. It all depends on the coverage you chose when you purchased your policy (endorsements added) and the cause of the disaster:

However, for the damages covered, your insurer will compensate you according to the coverage chosen under your policy. He will also take into account the maximum amount (limit) for the reimbursement of certain categories of items.

Examples of coverage for damages caused by sanitary installations:

  • The hose on your dishwasher broke, while it was running.
  • Your bathtub overflowed.

Example of coverage for a water main break:

  • The old city water main which supplies your habitation breaks and the water floods part of your basement, which you've just renovated.

Examples of coverage for a water seepage:

  • A violent thunderstorm hits and water leaks through the roof into your living room.
    Covered, if you added the endorsement Water Damage – Above Ground Water Coverage to your home insurance policy.
  • With spring and the melting snow, water seeps through the foundation walls of your home.
    Covered, if you added the endorsement Water Damage – Ground Water and Sewers Coverage to your home insurance policy.

Example of coverage for sewer back-up:

  • Heavy rains fall on your neighbourhood and the sewers can’t handle the large quantity of water that hits the ground, with the result that the sewers back up into your home.
    Covered, if you added the endorsement Water Damage – Ground Water and Sewers Coverage to your home insurance policy.

Flooding caused by an overflowing body of water (spring flooding, for example): :

  • An ice jam raises the level of the river which your home overlooks. The water rises on to your land and floods your home.
    Covered Covered, if you added the new endorsement Water Damage – Ground water, sewers and overflow of body of water to your home insurance policy.
    *Note that this new insurance product is only offered by some insurers at this time. Contact your insurer to find out if he offers it.

Replacing destroyed or damaged items

First, your insurer will have items cleaned if they can be cleaned and repair damaged items that can be repaired.

If items must be replaced, your insurer will replace them with new items of the same type and quality if you chose this settlement option when you purchased your policy. If not, your insurer will indemnify you based on their actual cash value.

Your insurer’s obligation

Your insurer is required to return your belongings to the state they were in prior to the loss. An item will be repaired or cleaned if it can be. Were your clothes soaking wet? Your insurer will have them cleaned. Does your floating floor need to be replaced? Your insurer will have it reinstalled using the same material.

Your insurer also has to pay you for the damage within 60 days of receiving your claim or any information or supporting documents it may request.

Repairing the building

And if your home is damaged, a plan will have to be drawn up to evaluate the cost of rebuilding the damaged premises. Your insurer will have the damaged or destroyed portions repaired or rebuilt. If you opt not to have these repairs done, your insurer will reimburse you an amount of money based on the actual cash value of the property.

Choosing a supplier or contractor

You can use a supplier or contractor of your choice to repair or replace an item or to rebuild the damaged portions. However, discuss it first with your insurer so that you can agree on the amounts paid.


And remember: you’ll have to deduct the amount of your policy deductible from the indemnity amount you receive from your insurer for each claim you make.

Property for which coverage is limited under most insurance policies, regardless of the type of loss covered.

Animals $1,000 to $2,000
Boats $1,000 to $2,000
Gold or silver bars, bank notes and cash $200
Software $1,000 to $2,000
Lawn tractors, equipment trailers $5,000
Securities $1,000 to $2,000
Personal property used for professional activities $2,000
the five steps of a claims settlement process in home insurance

Discover the five steps of a claims settlement process in home insurance

Contact your insurer Get your claim ready Assess the damage Agree on a settlement Indemnity payment

Call you insurer or broker as soon as possible. Explain what happened as concisely as you can.

List the damaged, destroyed or stolen property; include the model, proof of purchase, warranty and price. And take a photo of the damage.

The claims adjuster will assess the circumstances of the loss, analyze the documents you provide and explain the next steps.

If the property can be repaired, it will be. Otherwise, your insurer will replace it or indemnify you as provided for under your policy.

Depending on the extent of the loss, your insurer will indemnify you in one or more instalments or pay your suppliers or contractors directly.

Répondez au quiz!

Êtes-vous bien couvert?