Compensation - Theft and vandalism - Claiming - Owner - Home insurance |


Theft and vandalism

Your home insurance policy protects you in case of theft or vandalism. However, your insurer will indemnify you according to your policy coverage amount.

Did you know that certain stolen items like bicycles, jewellery, works of art or wine are often subject to maximum reimbursement limits? Your insurer will therefore factor in this limit (theft and vandalism) when reimbursing certain categories of items.

Property for which coverage is limited under most insurance policies, regardless of the type of loss covered.

Animals $1,000 to $2,000
Boats $1,000 to $2,000
Gold or silver bars, bank notes and cash $200
Software $1,000 to $2,000
Lawn tractors, equipment trailers $5,000
Securities $1,000 to $2,000
Personal property used for professional activities $2,000

Property for which coverage in case of THEFT is limited under most insurance policies

Wine and spirits $5,000
Jewellery $1,000  to $2,000
Furs $1,000  to $2,000
Manuscripts/stamps/coins $1,000  to $2,000
Objects made of silver or gold $5,000
(including equipment and accessories)
$1,000  to $2,000
Audio and video media
(including CDs and DVDs)
$1,000  to $2,000
Sports and artistic personality cards $1,000  to $2,000
Works of art $5,000 to $10,000
Collections $1,000  to $2,000

Replacing destroyed or damaged items

First, your home insurer will repair damaged items that can be repaired.

If items must be replaced, your insurer will replace them with new items of the same type and quality if you chose this settlement option when you purchased your policy. If not, your insurer will indemnify you based on their actual cash value.

Repairing your home

And if your building is damaged, a plan will have to be drawn up to evaluate the cost of rebuilding the damaged premises. Your insurer will have the damaged portions repaired. If you opt not to have your home repaired or rebuilt, your insurer will reimburse you an amount of money based on its actual cash value.

Your insurer’s obligation

Your home insurer is required to return your belongings to the state they were in prior to the loss. If your 20” TV was stolen, your insurer will reimburse you for a TV of the same size and with same features.

Your insurer also has to pay you for the damage within 60 days of receiving your claim or any information or supporting documents it may request.

Theft off the premises

Was your hockey equipment stolen from your car? Depending on the coverage you chose, you’re covered under your home insurance policy, but there could be a limit: 10% of the total personal property coverage. In other words, if the coverage for your personal property is $50,000, the maximum you can claim is $5,000 for items stolen off the premises.

Choosing a supplier or contractor

You can use a supplier or contractor of your choice to repair or replace an item. However, discuss it first with your insurer so that you can agree on the amounts paid.


And remember: you’ll have to deduct the amount of your policy deductible from the indemnity amount you receive from your insurer for each claim you make.

the five steps of a claims settlement process in home insurance

Discover the five steps of a claims settlement process in home insurance

Contact your insurer Get your claim ready Assess the damage Agree on a settlement Indemnity payment

Call you insurer or broker as soon as possible. Explain what happened as concisely as you can.

List the damaged, destroyed or stolen property; include the model, proof of purchase, warranty and price. And take a photo of the damage.

The claims adjuster will assess the circumstances of the loss, analyze the documents you provide and explain the next steps.

If the property can be repaired, it will be. Otherwise, your insurer will replace it or indemnify you as provided for under your policy.

Depending on the extent of the loss, your insurer will indemnify you in one or more instalments or pay your suppliers or contractors directly.

Répondez au quiz!

Êtes-vous bien couvert?