Compensation - Wind and hail - Claiming - Co-owner - Home insurance |


Wind and hail

Your home insurance protects you against damage caused by tornadoes, strong winds and hail.

However, your insurer will indemnify you according to your policy coverage amount. He'll also factor in the maximum coverage amount (limit) when reimbursing certain categories of items.

Example of coverage for damages caused by tornadoes, strong winds and hail:

  • Your gazebo was damaged during the last hail storm.
  • The roof of your building was torn off during the last wind storm and your belongings were damaged.

Replacing destroyed or damaged items

Your home insurer will repair damaged items that can be repaired.

If items must be replaced, your insurer will replace them with new items of the same type and quality if you chose this settlement option when you purchased your policy. If not, your insurer will indemnify you based on their actual cash value.

Your insurer’s obligation

Your home insurer is required to return your belongings to the state they were in prior to the loss. For example, hail damaged the table of your patio set. Your insurer will only replace the damaged table, not the complete set.

Your insurer also has to pay you for the damage within 60 days of receiving your claim or any information or supporting documents it may request.

Repairing your condo

And if your condo is damaged, a plan will have to be drawn up to evaluate the cost of rebuilding the damaged premises. This part is handled by the condominium syndicate's insurer. However, if improvements were made to your condo since it was built, it's your insurer that will pay the difference between the original construction and its state at the time of the loss.

Choosing a supplier or contractor

You can use a supplier or contractor of your choice to repair or replace an item or rebuild the damaged premises. However, discuss it first with your insurer so that you can agree on the indemnity amounts.


And remember: you'll have to deduct the amount of your policy deductible from the indemnity amount you receive from your insurer for each claim you make.

Property for which coverage is limited under most insurance policies, regardless of the type of loss covered.

Animals $1,000 to $2,000
Boats $1,000 to $2,000
Gold or silver bars, bank notes and cash $200
Software $1,000 to $2,000
Lawn tractors, equipment trailers $5,000
Securities $1,000 to $2,000
Personal property used for professional activities $2,000
the five steps of a claims settlement process in home insurance

Discover the five steps of a claims settlement process in home insurance

Contact your insurer Get your claim ready Assess the damage Agree on a settlement Indemnity payment

Call you insurer or broker as soon as possible. Explain what happened as concisely as you can.

List the damaged, destroyed or stolen property; include the model, proof of purchase, warranty and price. And take a photo of the damage.

The claims adjuster will assess the circumstances of the loss, analyze the documents you provide and explain the next steps.

If the property can be repaired, it will be. Otherwise, your insurer will replace it or indemnify you as provided for under your policy.

Depending on the extent of the loss, your insurer will indemnify you in one or more instalments or pay your suppliers or contractors directly.

Répondez au quiz!

Êtes-vous bien couvert?