Whether you're the victim of theft, vandalism or fire, your home insurance covers you for these perils… including some perils caused by Mother Nature such as wind, hail or lightning.
And what about water damage?
The bathtub overflows, the roof leaks or the river spills its banks… It's sometimes difficult to figure out under what circumstances your home insurance will compensate you if you're a victim of water damage.
Water damage can happen in different ways in your home. Your insurance will cover you under certain specific circumstances:
- Damage caused by the discharge or overflow of public water mains carrying drinking water
- Damage caused by the discharge or overflow of plumbing systems or appliances such as bathtubs or dishwashers
When it comes to sewer backup or water seepage through the roof, you'll be covered if you added additional coverage, known as an endorsement, to your insurance policy.
Damage caused by landslides and other earth movements is not covered. The same goes for losses due to pollution, nuclear risks or war.
Two insurance policies are in effect for condos, one for the condo owner's private portions and one for the condo corporation.
In case of loss, both policies could split the compensation. For more information, visit the Condominium Insurance page.
Examples of perils not covered under your home insurance policy
- Landslides, earthquakes* and other earth movements
- Damage to property acquired illegally
- Losses caused by criminal acts of the insured
- Losses due to war, terrorism, nuclear risks
* Coverage for damage caused by an earthquake is available under an endorsement.