At the time of the loss - Water damage - Claiming - Co-owner - Home insurance |


Water damage

Your home insurance policy protects you, but not in all cases.

Water damage can take various forms: a leak in your hot water heater, a break in the water main in front of your building, which turns your garden into a pond, or the sewer backs up in your condo.

Can’t stay in your condo?

Talk to your insurer, and to the syndicate, to find out what compensation you’re entitled to, where applicable. Ask for a cash advance, if needed. Keep all receipts and invoices for lodging and food expenses incurred following the loss.

Call your insurer as soon as possible if you’ve suffered water damage. He’ll ask you to describe the exact circumstances of the loss in order to establish whether your policy covers the damages. Depending on the type and extent of the insured damage, he’ll tell you what to do.

And contact the condominium syndicate immediately. Its insurer could be involved in the claim depending on which portions of your unit are damaged.

To avoid making the damage worse or endangering your health, it’s important that you take certain measures quickly:

  • Close gas lines and turn off the power making sure you’re not standing in water.
  • Remove the water that has seeped in immediately to limit the damage and protect belongings that are not damaged.
  • Clean the affected areas and items exposed to water.
  • Make a list of the items destroyed and take photos or a video to document the loss.
  • Unless they’re a health hazard, don’t throw out damaged items right away. Sort through them, if applicable, outside your condo.
  • Keep invoices and vouchers for expenses incurred.

See how you can prevent water damage.

the five steps of a claims settlement process in home insurance

Discover the five steps of a claims settlement process in home insurance

Contact your insurer Get your claim ready Assess the damage Agree on a settlement Indemnity payment

Call you insurer or broker as soon as possible. Explain what happened as concisely as you can.

List the damaged, destroyed or stolen property; include the model, proof of purchase, warranty and price. And take a photo of the damage.

The claims adjuster will assess the circumstances of the loss, analyze the documents you provide and explain the next steps.

If the property can be repaired, it will be. Otherwise, your insurer will replace it or indemnify you as provided for under your policy.

Depending on the extent of the loss, your insurer will indemnify you in one or more instalments or pay your suppliers or contractors directly.

Répondez au quiz!

Êtes-vous bien couvert?