Compensation - Wind and hail - Claiming - Business - Business |


Wind and hail

Your insurance protects you against damage caused by tornadoes, strong winds and hail.

However, your insurer will indemnify you according to your policy coverage amount. He’ll also factor in the maximum coverage amount (limit) when reimbursing certain categories of items.

Examples of coverage for damages caused by tornadoes, strong winds and hail:

  • Your gazebo was damaged during the last hail storm.
  • Your roof was damaged during the last wind storm.
  • Your plants were seriously damaged by hail.
    Not covered
  • A tree on your property was uprooted by strong wind gusts.
    Not covered

Replacing destroyed or damaged items

Your insurer will repair damaged items that can be repaired.

If items must be replaced, your insurer will replace them with new items of the same type and quality if you chose this settlement option when you purchased your policy. If not, your insurer will indemnify you based on their actual cash value.

Your insurer’s obligation

Your insurer is required to return your belongings to the state they were in prior to the loss. For example, the wind damaged part of your roof. Your insurer will only rebuild the damaged section.

Your insurer also has to pay you for the damage within 60 days of receiving your claim or any information or supporting documents it may request.

Repairing your building

And if your building is damaged, a plan will have to be drawn up to evaluate the cost of rebuilding the damaged premises. Your insurer will have the damaged or destroyed portions repaired or rebuilt. If you opt not to have these repairs done, your insurer will reimburse you an amount of money based on the actual cash value.

Choosing a supplier or contractor

You can use a supplier or contractor of your choice to repair or replace an item, or rebuild the damaged premises. However, discuss it first with your insurer so that you can agree on the indemnity amounts.


And remember: you’ll have to deduct the amount of your policy deductible from the indemnity amount you receive from your insurer for each claim you make.

Property for which coverage is limited under most insurance policies, regardless of the type of loss covered.

Animals $1,000 to $2,000
Boats $1,000 to $2,000
Gold or silver bars, bank notes and cash $200
Software $1,000 to $2,000
Lawn tractors, equipment trailers $5,000
Securities $1,000 to $2,000
Personal property used for professional activities $2,000